Monday, November 5, 2007

Tim's Geburtstag


“They say it’s your birthday. Da na na na na na nah.
Well it’s my birthday too-oo. Da, na na na na na nah.”

Hope you all sang that. So today is not my birthday (although I will shamelessly except gifts any day of the year) but we did have a celebration weekend here at the Klaus Haus. Yesterday was Tim’s 31st birthday! Weee!!! I do love birthdays, even if it’s not mine. (Ok, I guess I prefer mine just a little.) I think Tim would say the day was a success. On Friday he and Maarten went car shopping and I believe tomorrow (after seriously 16 tedious steps: bank-insurance-salesman-license plate place-salesman-registration-actually drive the car off the lot) he will have a 1998 black BMW 523. I think he’s rather excited. And speaking of cars, mine should be coming from the dealer tomorrow as well. Happy Birthday to me! So after 9 weeks of sharing rental cars, we will both have wheels of our own.

Back to the birthday: I did find my inner domestic diva yesterday, in honor of Tim’s special day, and whipped up some bre’fest. This is unusual for many reasons.


  • Number One: Tim is the breakfast chef in our household. His omelets and French toast put mine to shame. Hmmm, wondering if this is a common theme in the American home. Most dudes I know cook breakfast on the weekends. My dad, our old neighbor Mark (old meaning former, not referring to his age), Brian Curran of the famous Curran Bed and Breakfast in St. Chuck, MO, think maybe my brother Tom too. Anyway, I made egg sandwiches, which were good to quite good. The bacon here is not nearly as crispy as the stuff at home though, so they weren’t brilliant.

  • Reason Number Two: Mornings are not my best time of the day. In fact, I may be part vampire. I seriously have to force myself out of bed nearly every morning. And it hurts. I would stay up all night if I could, and then sleep in until 11. This actually runs in my family. All the Heidbreder women are like this. My mom, her sisters, my cousins, even my Grandmother. Isn’t it a rule in the Grandmother Guidebook that you have to get up before the sun? Not for my GM. You cannot call her any before 10am. That—and she doesn’t drink coffee. Crazy.

  • Reason Number Three: See last blog entry for notes on domestic skills.

So after attempting to pamper him most of the day, Tim and I met up with our friends at a Mexican place for dinner. Yep. A German-Mexican restaurant. Tim’s been craving Taco Bell something fierce, so I thought this would be the next best thing. Actually, I thought the food was quite good. Margaritas a little on the strong side though. (Paying for that today.) From there the evening progressed as Ewan took over as tour guide and presented the nightlife of Regensburg. Had an amazing time. The people that we’ve met through Cat are truly wonderful. Thankfully, they’ve kind of adopted us and have become our family. We feel so lucky to have them in our lives. (Geez that was sappy.) All in all, a good day. Tim’s family arrives Tuesday, so more celebration will surely ensue. Hope you all had a great weekend.



P.S. Did you know that Germans sing the American version of Happy Birthday? Thought you should know.

2 comments:

Peg said...

Happy birthday to Tim!! Let me know if you need me to FedEx some Taco Bell.

Linda Stoner said...

Hope your birthday was very happy, Tim! Looks like everyone was having a good time. Poor you...a BMW for your big day! Foreign life must be agreeing with you!
Miss you guys! :)
Linda Stoner