Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Bad Karma

I should start this tale by saying that I love to watch people fall. I am usually a very nice person in most other areas of my life, but watching people eat-it tickles me so deeply that I should know I would have to pay for it later. I will, of course, make sure no one’s hurt. But soon after, the cackling begins. Kristi and I sat in Davos one afternoon in full view of a drag lift (T-bar) and watched the mayhem unfold. I would offer that activity up to anyone that needs to find some joy in their life. Note to self…what goes around, comes around. You cannot laugh at someone else’s expense without paying the piper at a later date. My later date was Sunday. And poor Steve, just got caught in the crossfire.

It was the end of our Italian ski adventure. We had conquered nearly all of the that mountain we could. It was time to make our way back down to the car and head off on our merry way. At this point, Kristi, Jen and little Ella were already on the road homeward bound. (With a debacle all of their own involving a snowy street, 8 muscular Italians (one of which driving her car,) and a near collision.) So, the four of us that were left hopped on a 4-person chair lift. From right to left: Bryan (with snowboard), Steve, me, then Tim. Well, I was a little exhausted after trying to keep up with the boys and somehow as I sat down on the seat, I dropped one of my ski poles. I said, “My Pole!” and reached forward, hoping to grab it before the lift scooped us off the ground. (It’s also perhaps important to note that the pole was laying across my right ski and Steve’s left.) Being the nice guy that Steve is, he also reached for the pole (picture us both leaning forward) and before we knew it…both Steve and I were under the lift. Me, getting all jumbled up in Tim’s skis and getting dragged about 25 feet. Yep, we fell off a chair lift.

As soon as I came too, I looked up and noticed that I was, indeed, under the chairlift. Still, I’m not entirely sure what all had to happen for me to get there. I just remember a lot of metal. I glance behind me, and Steve was sitting up looking at me in sheer disbelief. At this point the lift dude runs over (after he stops the lift before we could get clocked in the head with more metal.) He starts rattling off German, making sure we were both ok (which thankfully we were.) Picks us up and plops us onto the next chair. I was still in some sort of shock. It took until Steve turned to look at me (I should also note here that Steve is an amazing, advanced skier) and says, “Heather in all my years, I have never, never, EVER fallen off of a skilift.” And I started to laugh. I laughed the entire way up the lift. I could see Tim and Bryan’s chair up ahead also shaking with their laughter. Steve, in between cursing me, started laughing too. You know what they say about paybacks.

2 comments:

Wedding Diplomat said...

oh no! i'm glad you're alright. I think i'll be next because I laughed right here at my desk through your whole story :)

Dried-on Milk said...

lol ok yeah that would totally happen to me... crap as you said i'm sure i'm next for laughing but that's damn funny to not laugh!