Thursday, February 19, 2009

Gay Par-Oui!


We valentined in Paris. (Go ahead I’ll hold while you either sigh if you’re a chick or barf if you’re a dude.) Before you all decide that you wanna trade in your hubbies for Tim, let me assure you that, yes-he is indeed exceedingly romantic, but actually I booked this trip back in September. That, and we took friend Kristi. So…perhaps not the romantic getaway that you all were picturing. Note: we’ve taken to calling Kristi ‘wife’ since we travel with her so much. (Sweden, Istanbul, skiing in both Switzerland and Italy.) She will rank WAY up there for one of the things we will miss most about living in Europe. We love traveling with her. Wife, come visit us…often!

I absolutely loved Paris this time around, this being my third adventure here. The first was with my mother in 2002, amidst my quarter-life-crisis-frolic through Europe. Mom and I had a great time celebrating Bastille Day on the grass under the Eiffel Tower with millions of our closest friends. The second, well, it just wasn’t as much fun. Tim and I decided to skip Thanksgiving in 2006 (before we moved to Germany) and be thankful eating crepes instead turkey. It was completely crummy weather—literally raining sideways. Not too mention that we came across a rash of not-so-friendly people. It was fine, but honestly, not our favorite trip.
Well, third time must be the charm. Paris was fantastic! The weather was chilly, but for the most part, clear-blue skies (which knocked the socks off rain blasting you in the face that we had the time before.) We wandered all day and night through museums and neighborhoods soaking in the history and culture. (Seriously how much coffee can I put in my body?) Parisians were out of their way friendly. (I know!) And the people watching was fan-freaking-tastic! I totally got this city. I can completely see why artists, writers, dancers, sculptors, and really anyone creative has been drawn here to Paris for decades. There is just something there. Unexplainable. I would move here tomorrow. Except for all the dog poop on the street. That stunk—literally.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agreed. Tu connais j'adore Paris!