Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Have Stress, Will Travel


My husband has been working like a dog these past few weeks. In fact, I think he’s almost stressed out. Almost. This furrows my brow just a little because I honestly don’t think Tim has ever felt stress before. Not for college exams. Not for deadlines at work. Not even all that bad before we moved across an ocean. Tim just ‘is.’ I truly believe that while the rest of us wake up each morning and run through a list of “have-to’s” in the shower, Tim gets up, rolls out of bed (smiling, no doubt) and says to himself, “What do I get to do today?” It’s unreal and (thankfully) completely contagious.

So the other day, I knew the bottom had dropped out. Tim came home rather late from work and I found him melted into the couch. We started to talk about the day, his job and that the fact that he might be feeling a little stress with this new position. He admitted to me that he’d looked up some of the symptoms for Stress online. (This is when I completely fall head over heels in love with him.) Seriously? You had to look them up online? I mean, I could just describe myself most days and probably hit the majority of the criteria! Anyway, suffice it to say he needs a vacation.

Consequently, we’re Eastering in the Canary Islands. Bring on the beach and um-brella (-ella, -ella) drinks.

The Canaries are islands off the coast of Morocco, but belong actually to Spain. (Yes, I’ll hold while you all play on Google Earth for a sec.) We’ve got a great all-inclusive hotel and hopefully the weather will be in the 70s. Unlike most of our other adventures, we do not have any desire to be good tourists. We could care less if there is anything cultural to see or do. Just gonna lay on the beach or by the pool, read a little, soak up the sun and rejuvenate.

Please don't feel to sorry for us though. (Sure you're crying for us right now.) We did get in a little mini-vacation last weekend. Saturday morning we drove down to the Zugspitze, which is the highest Alp in Germany. It’s just about a 2-hour drive from our place, which just couldn’t be more convenient. We did a little skiing on Saturday, and by skiing I mean Tim skied and I took a nap on a lounge chair with my ski boots on. The snow wasn’t all that good, but it was still beautiful. Sunday we took the cable car all the way up to the peak and should have seen 4 countries and 400 peaks. Shouldda, couldda, wouldda...didn't. It was a complete white out. Couldn't even see your hand in front of your face. Oh well, still had fun exploring the Igloo village up there. Looking forward to going back.

Wishing you all a Hoppy Easter. May you spend time with family and friends and find small ways to take care of yourselves.

No comments: