Monday, March 3, 2008

Memories...


'Like the corners of my mind.
Misty, watercolored memories of where I puked all over the steps of a cathedral…'

Yep, there it is folks. The scene of the crime. Walk with me down memory lane here just for a sec. Picture it. 1990. I was 11. My family had taken a 3 week European Adventure (for further research see National Lampoon’s European Vacation with my father staring as “Sparky”) to go visit my aunt in Germany. Aunt Sue has lived here for going on 40 years, and of course she knows all the amazing places to see. So, knowing we are going to travel all around the country with seven people, my uncle Georg (Sue’s husband) had rented a Volkswagen Bus that we all could pile into. Unfortunately, this particular morning, little Heather drew the short straw and got delegated to the back of the bus. This was not good. Not good indeed. (I had a history for getting a teensy bit seasick, and in fact may have booted on the school bus during the less-than-two-mile trek to junior high one day, if that tells you anything.)

So we wind around God knows where on our way to Limburg to see this beautiful little town with it’s amazing cathedral. We get there, park, and I can tell I’m starting to feel a little funky. I decide it’s nothing and join the hike with my family through all the half-timbered houses all the way up to the cathedral, all the while trying to convince myself that I'm allright. There we are, staring at this ancient cathedral in all its wonder, when disaster strikes and I have to bolt over to one side and vomit. (I love that word.) Ah, instantly I felt better. That was until I raised my eyes to see the giant tour group of at least 30 people standing directly in front of me. Hope they got some good pics. Ah, memories.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

HAHA! That is the greatest story. *Sigh* nostalgia - brings a tear to my eye!! ;)