Saturday, September 15, 2007

Calm before the storm


Bonjour from Grenoble! Tim and I are in France right now enjoying just a little bit of downtime before Monday comes in like a freight train. We have eaten soft cheese, drank red wine, attempted to speak French, and strutted around town with high cheek-boned women with miniature, yippy dogs, and beautiful men with 20 inch hips. I'd say we covered a lot of ground for two days!

Friday, Tim hit the Grenoble CAT plant to meet-n-greet the guys that will be manufacturing the Wheeled Excavators that he'll be working on. (At least that's what I translated from his nerd-speak.) Meanwhile, Amanda picked me up, with her mom, grandma, and baby Maddie in tow, and we filled the day with quite a bit of shopping--including a trip out in the middle of the French countryside to see her favorite potter. I happened to walk away with a few Provencal looking pieces, which I'm sure makes my parents a little nervous. My dad may be taking bets at on how long it will be until I brake something. People don't call me 'Grace' for nuthin!

Grenoble is a pretty darn big city, maybe close to 750,00 people, surrounded on most sides by the Alps. "The Hills are alive...with the sound of ooh-la-la!" We may not have had the greatest view from the window of our Best Western, but I personally fell in love with the charm of the Old Town and Tim with the mountains. Truly, both are amazing. Last night we finagled Amanda's mom into babysitting Maddie and we went out for a fabulous French dinner with Brian and Amanda. Today, the four of us hiked a mountain. Ok, not entirely true. We hiked on a mountain. (I just think it sounds a little more impressive when I say it the other way.) Then the Lowrys invited us to dinner at their house a little outside of Grenoble in the quaint village Herbeys (not like the VW bug, remember the French don't really believe in consonants. Think something like "Errr-bay.") Good food, good wine, good friends equals great evening.

So hitting the hay soon, in fact, Mr. Sandman has all ready visited my husband. Tomorrow we'll drive back and hopefully leave ourselves enough time to get our heads around what needs to happen Monday. Quick run-down: I start class, we should have both Internet and phone (which means Vonage should be good to go) AND all of our stuff is arriving! Cannot wait! Ah, actually, not entirely true. Sounds like a lot of work. Mom...are you coming over here yet?

No comments: