Thursday, September 13, 2007

United Colors of Benetton

Right now, I’m sitting at our Hotel Bar in Archamps, France, just outside of Geneva. No, Mom, I’m not drinking yet (although it is past noon.) Actually I’m having an Orangina in honor of my little neighbor Emma and enjoying a view of the beautiful courtyard. It is sunny and warm here, but when I say warm, I still mean long sleeves and jeans.

Side note: I’ve gotta find dance soon. I am completely uncomfortable in ‘normal people clothes.’ I’ve worn a leotard, tights and comfy jazz pants for the last five years of my life and now I’m totally unsure of how to wear anything else. How do you people do it? I feel so stuffy and prohibited in my movement. Jeans are so constricting!

Speaking of uncomfortable, my self-esteem has just plummeted. We are now in France, the land of beautiful people. No, it’s not quite Paris, but darn close. As my mother says, “Our finest clothing is about on par with what the French would wear to walk their dogs.” It’s true. Maybe there’s a Wal-mart close by that I could go into so I can feel good about myself again!

Geneva, Switzerland is what I would consider an International city. I think most of the people here actually speak French, but I did hear some Swiss German and a little bit of English. In fact in driving here, and by the way we went through 4 countries Tuesday, it seemed Switzerland was just blending us from Germany into France. One big difference is that they use the Swiss Franc here, because neutral Switzerland is not a part of the EU. (Almost found that out the hard way at the parking deck.) Yesterday I drove into the city from our little French village and did some sight-seeing while Tim was in his conference. I didn’t really have an agenda, but for some reason I always seem to find myself seeking out gardens and churches…usually in that order. Yesterday was no exception. Highlights: A Rose Garden with over 40,000 rose bushes (I thought of you, Mom), and the old city-complete with a Roman wall that rises up to the cathedral. Churches here are always built on the highest spot in the city. Not only does it create a beautiful skyline, but it gives you some point of reference in case you get lost (which I do quite frequently.) I also got in some good people watching while I sat at Starbucks (see, maybe I am in Seattle!) The women I mentioned before and the men all look like David Hyde Pierce, complete with dark suits. Think they’re all bankers.

Last night, as a part of Tim’s conference, we took an excursion to this medieval French village. Yes, that was truly beautiful, but I was much more entranced by the people that Tim is training with. I met four guys from South Africa, a very charming Frenchman, a Brit, a Dutchman, an American who’s lived in France for 27 years, a Russian chatter-box, and Sergio Garcia (no, not the golfer) who is a Spaniard living in Italy. It was the United Colors of Benetton!

Side note 2: I’d like to just take a moment to say how proud I am of my husband. He’s accomplished so much thus far and his intellect and laid-back personality amaze me everyday. Not to mention his nerdiness—we have to make a drive by of CERN before we leave today just so he can sense the brain-power behind those walls. (Nerd alert!)

We take off later today for Grenoble. Tim will meet some of the guys he’ll be working with tomorrow and I plan to hang out with the Lowrys. Oh, good news! We just found out that both our air shipment and sea shipment have cleared customs. Everything is supposed to be delivered Monday. Halleluia!!!

1 comment:

Ing said...

I love love love reading about your daily adventures ... you truly are entertaining ...