Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Home of Starbucks or Liver pate'?

Another little German quiz for you. Our Street name, Buchenstrasse, means:
a. Book Street
b. Bridge Street
c. Beech Street.

Guesses??? Text or e-mail your answers to http://worthlessknowledge.com
The correct answer is actually c. Beach Street. We had originally thought that Buchen must be plural for Buch, which is Book. But, nay, we were wrong. That Buchen appearantly has an umlaut over the u and is a completely different word. Nor is it Bruckenstrasse (Bridge street) that the IKEA drivers thought it to be. Our home is now on Beech Street and actually a lot of the streets around us are tree names. UlmenStrasse (Elm Street), NussStrasse (Nut Tree), SensibleStrasse (Sensibili-tree.) Okay, made the last one up.
Hmm...is this interesting to anyone but my Dad, probably not.

Moving on. We took Kevin out to dinner last night up by Cat at the Hotel Jacob. The Jacob brewery has won the best Wheatbeer in Germany for something like the last 17 years. The food ain't bad neither. We were bribing Kevin to let us use his washer and drier so we could again wear underwear. The three of us got into a discussion that we actually think we might be living in Seattle instead of Germany. The weather here is exactly what I would picture Seattle to be like. Cold, overcast, rain everyday. Do you think Cat just imported a couple thousand Germans? I mean, I didn't actually drive here afterall. The plane could have just done loops for all I know and landed in Washington State. Consequently I'm freezing my cha-chas off. I packed only four long sleeve shirts and no warm jackets. Not to mention flip-flops instead of boots. Customs---let my clothing go!

This last weekend was great and pretty relaxing. Tim went to the 'Dult' Friday with the boys and saw much of what I had described earlier. I believe the highlight of the evening was when the band, 3 men in lederhosen, did a stunning rendition of "It's Raining Men." Then on Sunday, Tim and I again wandered the streets of Regensburg tyring to soak it all in. Claudia had given us a book, in English, that has three walking tours of the city complete with historical background. I am just so humbled by the History that is here. There is still a portion of the old Roman Wall here that was built in 179 AD. I mean, that's old. My Grandmother hadn't even been born yet!

Well, we are just about to take off for our first excursion. We are headed today (it's Tues) to Geneva, Switzerland then on to Grenoble, France on Friday. Tim has some of his black belt leadership training to finish up and I'm going along for the ride. Hoping to spend the weekend with our friends Brian and Amanda Lowry who've been living in Grenoble for the last year. Maybe it's warmer there...

P.S. Tim just finished his first package of liverwurst. "Amazing," he says, "Looks terrible, smells worse, yet tastes delicious!" I'll take his word for it.

2 comments:

stephanie said...

Hi!!
So, I never knew you could leave comments on blogs...oh the wonders of staying at home with a computer all day!
Sounds like all is well in Seattle...I mean Germany! Stay dry and blog often!
Much love,
Steph

Naomi said...

Funny you mention Seattle. John and I spent Sunday and Monday in Chicago and I was pondering what your German weather would be like this time of year. He said "pretty much like in Seattle." I guess he is right, again. I won't tell you what he said about what it would be like in the winter........