Monday, January 14, 2008

Rough Start

Was really planning to establish a great routine today. New Year. Good time to reinvent yourself. Good idea...right? Nope. Not gonna happen. For starters, got sidetracked last night and didn't even get into bed until almost one. So much for a good nite's rest. Sleep went as follows.

Hmm, 1am, not sleepy so much. Allrighty, let's try a book. (Time lapse: 20 min.) Okay-eyes are feeling a little droopy, let's close them. Flip off the light. Immediately, eyes wide awake. It's ok Heather, just focus on your breath for a while. In. Out. In. Out. (few minutes pass.) Humph, not working. Sheep--yeah sheep. Count 'Em. 1, 2, 3...87. Wow, that's really stupid. Onto something else--daydream of something--what about dance (which at this point brings on a little heartache.) Okay--subject change. What about counting your blessings? Okay. Good. Number One: my family--Oh, my family. I miss my family. Okay--cannot feel my arm. Is it there? Yep. Found it. Oh no, it's asleep...here it comes...here comes the pain. Pins and needles, pins and needles! (good two minutes of silent agony here.) Maybe if I just flip over--nope, can't move that way. Harry (the cat)--must you lay horizontally on the bed? (adjust, adjust.) Maybe if I shimmy over this way...nope, Tim--wow--you are an inferno right now. (finagle around to get leg outside the covers.)

I remember seeing the clock almost every half hour amidst my tosses and turns until I had wound myself so tightly into a cocoon that I had to peel myself out like an onion. Finally got up and went to the guest bed where there was no Tim and no Harry. Think I had just shut my eyes when the alarm went off. "Heather. Heather...where are you." So in comes Tim to lay down with me for a sec before he hops in the shower. Silence. Then breathing. zzzzzzzz. Both of us totally pass out. Didn't even feel Harry jump into bed with us and assume his position.

So as we were in the other bedroom, slept right on through the snooze button. Got up an hour late. How's that for routine?

No comments: